Thursday, January 29, 2009

Miss Independent?

There are so many things that I usually rely on David to take care of. Big things, like filing our taxes; little things like unwrapping the Hershey's kisses when I bake peanut butter Hershey's kiss cookies. And I'm always aware of the ways I need him, and try to be sure I make it clear, on a regular basis, that I appreciate him.

But wow, being a whole week without him really highlights all the ways I'm dependent on him!

Here's a list of just some of the things I did all by myself this week, that I normally would never have to do:
  • Woke up every morning with the alarm clock. Usually, David turns off the alarm, gets up, takes a shower, gets dressed, and then tells me that I really, really have to wake up.
  • Got my own breakfast. Again, something that David takes care of for me while I blearily make my way towards the shower.
  • Shoveled our car out from the snow that had been dumped, oh-so-helpfully, all around it by the snow plow.
  • Killed a beetle in our kitchen.
  • Scraped ice off of my windshield.
  • Hosted a dinner for our small groups all by myself -- granted, it was a potluck dinner, and it was with people who are all wonderful conversationalists and great helps at cleaning up, but still!
  • Took the garbage out.
  • Hooked up our computer to our TV so I could watch some free internet TV from the comfort of our couch -- without breaking either the TV or the computer, and without electrocuting myself!
These are all things that I'm fully capable of doing on my own on a regular basis. Except for the beetle. I really, really can't deal with bugs of any sort. With their creepy little legs, and their skittering little ways... Ugh. I was tempted to cede that wing of the apartment to this beetle, but then realized that it might skitter its way over into the bug-free zone, so I had to deal with it... Shudder.

Whoops, lost my train of thought there a little...

I really am a capable, smart, full-grown adult. And I can certainly handle taking care of myself for a week. But I love the way David and I have our own spheres of influence within our marriage -- and I love the way we take care of each other.

So excited that he'll be back home tomorrow night!!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Oh I understand COMPLETELY.

We both travel a lot, and on the rare days we are both at home it is so much calmer and all in the world is right.