Sunday, November 15, 2009

Westerly baby shower!

Yesterday, Westerly Road Church held a baby shower honoring me, Casadi Schroeder, and Liz Cleere. I didn't really know what to expect from a Westerly shower, never having been to one before -- I was mostly just glad that Casadi would also be there, so I would know at least one other person there! I didn't know whether I would know many of the women there, or how the shower would be run, but I figured it would be a good way to meet women in the church outside my normal circles (i.e., small groups and YAC). I'm philosophically committed to having YAC be an entry point for young adults into the other circles of community in the church, so I've got to be willing to put myself out there, right?

But wow, did the shower bless my socks off. I wasn't prepared for the amount of love that these women would shower on someone that many of them didn't even know. I don't mean through the giving of gifts (though we got so many useful, adorable, sweet, treasured items!) -- but in being there at the shower (or expressing sincere regret for not being able to come), and praying over the three of us pregnant women, and including us in a series of Westerly baby traditions. Two of the women have made blankets for every baby born in the church over the last few decades -- how sweet to be included in the long line of women blessed by the work of their hands!

I feel so blessed to be a part of such an encouraging, enfolding church community. I realized yesterday in a new way how many people are walking alongside us as we prepare for this first baby... And we're really looking forward to getting to know Westerly's families even better as we branch out into the children's ministry arms of the church!

I didn't take any photos of the shower itself -- felt kind of awkward about busting out the camera when I was one of the women sitting front and center the whole time! But I've asked for copies of photos, and I'll post some of them here when I get them!

I did, however, take some pictures of all the gifts we were given yesterday. Pretty much all of them are from experienced mothers -- so I'm pretty sure that all of them will be very useful. And I know that all of them are completely adorable!


[Click to enlarge]


Hand-knit blanket made by Jo Peterson; hand-sewn fleece blanket made by Helen Trimble

We knew already how much we love and appreciate our church -- but that was reinforced in a whole new way yesterday. Thank you all so much for blessing us and our little baby boy!

0 comments: