Saturday, September 5, 2009

Bump Watch: 19 Weeks

This week's "bump watch" is a little late -- sorry about that! This one is technically 19-1/2 weeks, taken at 19 weeks, 4 days:



I'm not sure how much bigger I am than I was last week, though it looks like the baby is moving upward a bit? But I can definitely tell you that I'm so much more comfortable than I was a week ago, due to the discovery of the most amazing invention ever -- maternity pants. I'm seriously loving elastic waists and stretchy panels -- what an improvement over the old rubber band around the button and through the buttonhole trick! I mentioned this on Facebook the other day, and pretty much all the recent mothers I know have told me that they're sticking with the wonderfully comfy world of elastic waistbands from here on out... I think I'm going to have to join them! There's no shame in wearing "mom jeans," right?

And here's this week's blurb from BabyCenter.com:
Your baby weighs about 8 1/2 ounces, and measures 6 inches, head to bottom — about the size of a large heirloom tomato. The hair on her scalp is sprouting. This is a crucial time for sensory development: Your baby's brain is designating specialized areas for smell, taste, hearing, vision, and touch. Some research suggests that she may be able to hear your voice now, so don't be shy about reading aloud, taking to her, or singing a happy tune if the mood strikes you.
I'm not sure what's up with their produce comparisons -- I would think a turnip is bigger than a bell pepper, which is bigger than an heirloom tomato... Maybe I've just been buying scrawny peppers and tomatoes all my life! According to TheBump.com, the baby is about the size of a mango this week, which is more to my liking.

As for baby milestones this week -- we're definitely, definitely feeling movement now! And I say "we" because David felt the baby kick earlier this week, too!! We were sitting on the couch together, and I had just had some orange juice, which seems to cause the baby to kick it into high gear. So I grabbed David's hand and had him hold it on my lower abdomen for a few minutes -- and he felt the little thumps! How incredibly exciting!!

And we've got our big ultrasound coming up this Wednesday! So hopefully, if the baby cooperates with the ultrasound tech, the next bump watch will include the gender of our little KeddieCub!

0 comments: