Monday, November 17, 2008

Life's Little Joys

The art of being happy lies in the power of extracting happiness from common things.
-- Henry Ward Beecher (1813-1887)

The "common thing" that is bringing a smile to my face right now? Fixing the annoyingly ungrammatical "1 comments" bug in Blogger!

As I was contemplating starting a new blog, I was attracted to all the very pretty, very personalized blogs I was seeing out there. I started doing some research to see what (free) options were available, and came across one particular gem of a website, Blogger University, which compiled lots of simple and useful hacks and coding tweaks, designed for use on the Blogger template. I highly recommend this site, for those of you who want to make minor changes to the basic template, but have zero HTML/XML knowledge.

After learning how to customize the header with my own image, and figuring out how to add that cute little teddy bear favicon to the status bar, I was absently clicking through various other options, when I saw it. A fix to the one thing that had always, always bugged me about the basic Blogger template. "Fixing the '1 comments' bug in Blogger Beta."

Maybe it's just me and my OCD need for grammatical perfection, but it bothers me that the Blogger template is programmed to always list "n comments." This works just fine when you have zero comments, or two or more, but if you only have one comment posted, you're stuck with "1 comments."

Making the change was super easy. So easy, in fact, that I wonder why Blogger doesn't just do this automatically...

But I'm going to choose to extract happiness from the fact that I fixed the bug. Woohoo, no more cringe-inducing grammatical errors!

0 comments: